This is the PowerPanel Backend server code written in ExpressJS
Follow all the instructions below to be able to develop on a local machine. Without creating .env and the private/public key pair the server WILL NOT START.
- Ensure you have npm installed
- Clone repository into new folder
- In terminal / CMD run npm install
- Create a file in the root directory called
.env. This is the configuration for this particular servers configuration. The structure is as follows:
APP=dev PORT=3000 DB_HOST=sd5-backend.engr.uconn.edu DB_PORT=3306 DB_NAME=sd5-dev DB_USER=<USERNAME> DB_PASSWORD=<PASSWORD>
- Generate a private and public key-pair, such as from http://travistidwell.com/jsencrypt/demo/, that is 512 bits. Copy the text from that site into files in the root directory, and name them
<APP>-public.keyrespectively depending on the value of set in the .env file from above. For example, my local development key pairs are
DO NOT COMMIT .env or any private/public key's to github! It could cause issues with deployment and leaves our database and authentication system vulnerable.
When developing, ensure you are on a different branch (NOT working on production).
Once you have a local instance that seems ready to add to production, create a pull request.